Sunday, June 12, 2011

Supporting our future designers…

 

The Brooks Family & Evelyn Brooks Designs supports students of the West Potomac Academy Fashion Program

My passion to support the community comes from where I come from and how I was raised. Also from my personal experiences. I wasn’t given the opportunity to attend a fashion design program at the age of 15 or simply getting an internship that could teach me about the fashion world.

When I agreed to partner with the Fairfax County Public Schools in becoming a mentor and to offer  young adults the opportunity to learn about the real business world, my day to day activities, etc… I took it seriously. The interns that have passed through my internship program they know I mean BUSINESS when it comes to work. I share with them my personal experiences and gives them the opportunities to share their thoughts in many aspects of my business. Also cause sometimes I need a fresh take.

I will be honest most of my interns have being VERY and EXTREMELY professional with the exception of a few that weren’t interested in the fashion world and other a bit lazy. But it is what it is. If I grant you the opportunity take advantage of it; if not somehow you will learn about the real world.

Part of my business mission is to help my community and we keep doing it. I brought  my little one, Tyler to the Runway Ready show produced by Maggie Francois & students of the West Potomac Academy Fashion Design Program (three of my internst where also in the show) and we simply could not miss it! He had lots of fun... Tyler  got to see his new friends, too;  (Lilly, Wanda & Joanna) at 1st he would not recognized them with all the make up on…but then he remembered them. Tyler knows that every Thursday they come to work with mommy and we try to keep him away so we can work QUIETLY at the studio but sometimes it is impossible.

IMG_0981IMG_0987

While Wanda works on learning about the latest jewelry trends, Tyler got her iPhone to play with and he loves giving her some company. We lay things on the floor when we discussed to many subjects. NO! WE DON’T WORK ON THE FLOOR ALL THE TIME Smile  Lilly another intern wasn’t there that day otherwise Tyler would have being all over her.

No comments:

Post a Comment